<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, May 18, 2007


Invincibility 

All the experts say that one of the key parts of "growing up" is passing through the day when you lose the notion of your own invincibility. I think, for me, the day that happened was the day my friend Andrew was killed in the car wreck.

But just because you lose your own notion of invincibility does not mean you lose the notion of invincibility for others. Allow me to explain what I mean.

I have a fraternity brother who is overseas, Baghdad specifically, serving the Bush Administraion in the Army. Generally, about once a week, he sends a lengthy email to those of us on his list describing what's been going on, what day-to-day life is like, combat situations he's been in or around, and what he likes to call "frontline humor." I have found these missals engaging and intriguing, a window into a world I hope never to have to know, but one for which he often longed as a college man.

Each week, I read some horrific tale of combat death and each week I think I try and push deep down the fact the dead one could have been my fraternity brother. This week's letter was especially poignant: carrying an arm load of military goods, he passed within ten feet of several transport vehicles where others were sitting and lounging. They saluted him, he responded. He moved on. Thirty seconds later, those vehicles were struck with a mortar attack, killing one, wounding the other five. 30 seconds. 10 feet.

And yet I happily read his email, in the midst of other emails about much more mundane things, and I think - somehow I manage to actually believe this - that my fraternity brother was in no danger. But I know that is not true.

I just hope his weekly emails keep coming.

Pray for peace.

-R

1 Comments:

Amen.

That would be great if we could connect in early June...

Drop me a line at adam_jacob81@yahoo.com with your contact info, and we can see what might work.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:02 PM  


Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?