<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, November 16, 2006


Shocking 

I was awakened last night quite rudely around 4 in the morning by a sharp and severe pain in my left calf. I cried out and doubled over to grab my leg, gripping it at first and then massaging it as the pain slowly subsided. Today, it is still sore.

I looked it up and apparently, I had a "night leg cramp," which normally only happens to older people, but can occur in a leg of any age.

The funny thing is, I was only semi-conscious when it happened - you know, in that state of quasi-wakefulness when things don't often make sense. Well, it was storming outside and lightning was striking about every ten seconds.

In my state of quasi-wakefulness coupled with searing agony in my leg, I quickly deduced that I had, while asleep in my bed, in my house, been struck by lightning.

-R

4 Comments:

The first time that ever happened to me, I was only 25. Of course, I was pregnant at the time...

So... news to share, bro? ;-)

By Blogger Jane Ellen+, at 11:55 PM  


You might need to up your potassium intake by drinking more gatorade or something. That usually helps with leg cramps.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:46 AM  


Oh, bro, I'm so sorry - I've been getting those since I was about 12 actually. They're awful. I find that pushing the ball of your foot against something helps - you know, stretching the calf.

Archer is right - potassium helps, so does calcium, so stock up on bananas. Also, a doc once told me that if your quilts and blankets are too heavy, they can push on your foot and cause your leg to cramp - probably not a problem in florida, but its made a difference for me.

By Blogger Susie/Nueva Cantora, at 11:06 AM  


Ryan-

Here's an old "home remedy" that absolutely works. I know, I have used it many times. When the cramp strikes hobble, hop on your good leg or crawl depending on the cramp's severity to the refrigerator. Oprn the door and reach for the jar of pickles kept specifically for this purpose. Open the jar and take two or three swigs of pickle juice. By the time you are done cursing the devil, your leg and the fact that man was created with legs the pain will have subsided. Trust me-it works.

Cliff

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:01 AM  


Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?