<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, November 03, 2006


Irrational Worry 

I am attending Vocare (spiritual renewal retreat for young adults) this weekend, which will begin in just over five hours, at DaySpring, and many of the people there will be old friends who I haven't seen in a long time - old Happening friends, not to mention my brother, too.

I should be elated. But I am not. I find I am worried and I don't exactly know why.

Is it because much has changed in all of our lives since last we gathered in the happy days of yore? All of our roles in life have changed. We are no longer care-free high-schoolers, but responsible young adults. Matt and Lyndsey are married with a child. Trevor is a wealth manager. Brad is a mortgage banker. I am an ordained transitional deacon. All of this seems like a time warp in some ways. Am I worried that it will not be like I remember it being so many years ago? I think that's part of it. But, why should I expect it to be the same? It is going to be a totally different experience? Right?

Is it because I am afraid all that I have learned intellectually in college and seminary will somehow be a roadblock for the full depth and breadth of the spiritual experience? Will I find the weekend shallow? Worse, will I find my friends shallow? God, I hope not.

I think I need to get off my high horse. I think I need to follow the advice I wrote to my high schoolers just a short time ago when they attended Happening, and to those of my friends years ago when we all attended and staffed Happening weekends.

Let go, and let God.

This is God's weekend. Let it be.

-R

1 Comments:

Well, there is that.

I think you're fear stems from wondering how you will all relate to each other as "adults." Rather than try to relive the glory days, look for ways to start your friendships anew.

"How did you get into that career?"
"Do you like what you're doing?"
"Are you happy?"

etc. etc. etc.

Have a good time.

By Blogger Reverend Ref +, at 10:12 PM  


Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?