<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 10, 2006


A Psalm of Samson 

I'm participating in a very basic "Introduction to the Bible" study group at church based off a program by a company called "Kerygma". It's not a bad module - just very basic from my point of view. I suspect the points of view vary widely in the group, so it's probably a good place to start. Last week we looked a several selections from the book of Judges and towards the end of the assigned chapter in the Kerygma resource book there was a suggested exercise. It said that of all the judges, only Samson is mentioned in the Psalms, and then only once. Try your hand at writing a Psalm about a judge.

With a remarkably clear schedule this morning, I took up my pen (err...keyboard) and began composing a Psalm of Samson. It came out pretty nicely in the end, if a tad long. But hey, what's the surprise there?

I would really suggest this exercise to you. And it doesn't have to be about one of the judges. Just try your hand at composing a psalm in the Biblical style. You'll be surprised at what you come up with I bet.

I shared mine with the Boss Man and now he wants to read it at Morning Prayer tomorrow. He laughed and said, "See what happens when I don't give my assistant enough to do! They go and add to the canon of Scripture!" Well, I'm entirely positive I didn't do that and I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be read at MP tomorrow, but it was nice praise for a fun little exercise.

Anyway, give it a go. See what's in your creative and biblical mind.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?