<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, October 23, 2006


Costume 

I'm working on the All Hallows' Eve lock-in for our youth group - something I originally saw done at a church in Seattle when I was there for my "Plunge" experience two years ago, then transferred to my field ed parish last year, and am now bringing here to St. Mark's. The event has multiple purposes - to give the kids a fun and safe activity, free from the temptations of the secular celebrations, to have an opportunity to just hang out and spend time together, and to reclaim the Christian heritage of the event.

As such, I have announced our costume contest for the evening. There will be different categories of prizes for various things. But the real kicker is that they get to wear their costume in church on Sunday morning if they are dressed up as a Saint, Martyr, or Biblical figure. So, I've been pondering what my costume will be and I've finally found the perfect one.

Lawrence, Deacon and Martyr. It's both appropriate for me that he was a deacon and that he is the patron saint of those who grill out. Why, might you ask, is he the patron saint of bbq-ers? Well, because he was suppossedly martyred by being grilled alive and then beheaded.

So my costume will be awesome! Burned grill marks across my face with a slashed neck make-up thingy. Then, I will get to tell the story of Lawrence's martyrdom, which is rather inspiring. He was said to have been entrusted with the church's greatest treasure - the Holy Grail. When the persecutions of Valerian were in full swing, he was arrested and the church's treasure was demanded of him. He spirited the Grail away, suppossedly to Spain, and then asked for three days to gather the wealth of the church. On the third day, he presented himself to the authorities at the head of a band of beggers, crippled, lepers, and poor stating emphatically that these were the church's greatest treasure.

He was then grilled for his trouble.

-R

4 Comments:

He was a cool guy, i actually did a presentation on him in religion class senior year. -Brennan

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:42 PM  


He is also the patron saint of football.
Why???
Same reason...because he was martyed on a "GRIDIRON".
So you could wear a football helmet, too.

By Blogger David, at 6:18 PM  


"He was then grilled for his trouble."

I miss your turns of phrase sometimes. I'm glad you blog.

By Blogger Beth, at 6:49 PM  


I'm glad this idea is receiving so much popular support.

Beth, one word - "Shovel."

-R

By Blogger Ryan, at 10:38 PM  


Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?