<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, September 05, 2006


The Church on Cain Rd. 

We're having primary election voting done at the Church today, and as I walked over from the church to my house, a voter pulled into my drive and hailed me. The following conversation took place.

Voter: "Are you with the church?"
Me: "Yes."
"This is your church?"
"Yes, it sure is."
"Well, we used to have voting at the old church and that was much closer to my home."
"Um-hmm. Ok."
"But you have a nice facility here. It's very lovely. You're set up well in this new location."
"Yes, thank you; we like it here."
"I think there is one thing you need to do though. I think you need to change the name of the road. There is no reason a church should be on "Cain" road. He shouldn't be the prominent one. So, do you think you can work on getting the name of the road changed to "Abel Road"?"
"I'll surely bring it up. Thank you for your concern."
"Ok, thanks. Bye bye. We shouldn't remember him. Bye bye."

Consider it brought up.

-R

2 Comments:

On the other hand, for those who are living a life more like Cain than Abel (um, sin --- most of us?). . . Perhaps the road name will draw us closer to the church in our search for community, fellowship, forgiveness, and renewal.

By Blogger The Rev. Dr. Debra K. Bullock, at 6:47 PM  


Though I tend to agree more with your interpretation Debra, rather than the voter's, I still think above all, IT'S A ROAD NAME. There is no deep theological significance. While I am sure the voter had all the very best of intentions, I barely made it indoors before I cracked up.

-R

By Blogger Ryan, at 7:44 PM  


Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?