<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 01, 2006


A Long Awaited Meeting 

Today, on our travels around and about town, the boss man suddenly turns to me in the car and says, "Would you like to stop in and get introduced to the folks at the Council on American-Islamic Relations?"

I thought for roughly a nanosecond, then replied, "Ummm....yes!"

So we went in and I got introduced around, after which we sat down for a while with the local chapter's director, Ahmed Bedier. We had a great conversation, exchanged contact info and tossed around some ideas on how we might be able to work together. I got invited to attend their annual banquet, and I think I might go. It would be a lot of fun. We talked a little bit about Scripture, both Islamic and Christian, and about the recent Seattle violence, and about the Lebanon-Israel war. All in all it was a fruitful meeting and I just know we'll be doing good things together in the future.

After we left, the boss man and I got in the car, and really without thinking about it, I blurted out, "That was awesome! I've dreamed of that meeting. I never knew where it would be or who it would be with, but I've dreamed of that meeting."

I thought about what I had said, and it is true. I have longed for, dreamed of, however you want to put it, the meeting I had today: where I as a leader in a Christian community can sit down with a local leader in a Muslim community and work together. I believe it will prosper both of our communities and I look forward to working together for peace, justice, and mutual understanding.

I feel...fulfilled.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?