<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, August 02, 2006


Again and Again, You Called Us to Return... 

I've never been one of those folks who dislike Eucharistic Prayer C (I'm sorry, this will not make sense to non-Episcopalians). In fact, I usually enjoy it. Its language speaks powerfully to me of the cosmic proportions of the universe in which I participate in but a small, infintesimal part. So, I did not balk as some may have when it was announced that for this coming Sunday, to honor the Trasfiguration of our Lord, we would be using Prayer C. I asked the boss man if he'd be singing it, and he said he hadn't thought about it, and he did not know where the music was for it. Recalling the "secret part of the hymnal" from my Liturgical Music class, I showed him where it was and said it was a beautiful setting. Then, our interim Organist/Choirmaster said he had a great setting for it too. So, he pulled his setting out and played through it with the boss man singing the celebrant's parts and I singing the congregations parts. It was amazing! Astounding! Huge and powerful! The drama of the Prayer hit me in a way it had never hit me before and I am pumped to hear it on Sunday. I think it is going to blow the congregation away! The sheet music at the top says it is by a "Northup and Pollard" for those of you who might care. Either way, it is going to be superb.

-R

6 Comments:

Next time, get the choir to hum the Star Wars theme for the offering first.

Baum..baum... ba-ba-ba- BAAA- ba....

By Blogger anummabrooke, at 10:56 AM  


yay! Not surprisingly, I love prayer C :)

By Blogger Susie/Nueva Cantora, at 11:42 AM  


Prayer C is definitely my favorite. Why don't others like it?

By Blogger Adam Jacob, at 12:48 PM  


Adam: I could be wrong, but I think people don't like Prayer C because it seems too "out there." Maybe too much of a New Age twist on creation where God can be found hugging trees or something.

And its nickname -- The Star Wars/Star Trek prayer adds to people thinking it might be a little hoaky.

I personally have always liked it. I like the higher level of congregational participation in it. And I also like the creation aspects of it, so it's used during Easter season in my congregations.

By Blogger Reverend Ref +, at 3:06 PM  


I'm with Beal. Are you SURE that you were SINGING and it sounded GOOD? ;-)

- Sherriff

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:28 AM  


Adam,

What the Reverend Ref said.

-R

By Blogger Ryan, at 4:27 PM  


Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?