<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 13, 2006


Ah, Florida! 

Though I sit in the front office of St. Mark's because the moving van with my computer in it has not yet arrived, I am considering this my first post from my new home, Tampa, FL. I was pleased to see/experience that I arrived just in time for Alberto, this season's first named storm. Much ado was made about it, but it was still a blah storm. I think everyone, especially the news stations are so keyed up about hurricanes now that they will jump at anything. We'll see what this season has to bring us.

But, back to the fact that I am home! It feels good to be here and will feel better once the moving van arrives and I have everything arranged. There is a lot of furniture in the house already - donations, mostly, and mostly in good condition - but I will need to give some of it back, probably to the refugee ministry, 0nce my own stuff gets here (hopefully, sometime tomorrow). The house is great! Huge! Air conditioned!! The church is equally as wonderful, and right across the yard, which will make the morning commute less hectic. There was a phone in my office (the only thing in there currently) which bore the heading "Fr. Ryan". Kinda funny, but true soon enough.

The Deacon Ordination service was wonderful. Many members of my family were in attendance,including my uncle who said jokingly, after he read what he had to swear to on my behalf, "I read the canons last night and I have a few questions for you!" Many thanks to all of you who came out to support me! Four others beside myself got baked on Saturday, 3 of them vocational Deacons. The bishop's message to us was very good. Of the main points, the ones which stood out were: (a) It's not about you, it's about the resurrection of Jesus Christ; (b) From this day forward, no one can judge you; (c) Don't worry about what your neighbor is doing, worry about what you're doing; (d) Be polishers of shoes (an update on the whole foot washing theme). He grinned as he laid hands on me and it felt good to be so well received. Though I must confess, I don't feel any different now that I'm a Deacon. I thought I'd be able to throw lightning bolts for sure! I will have to learn how to breathe with that collar on though. Sunday morning was even more fantastic than Saturday afternoon, though. There I was, serving as a Deacon, in the parish which has called me - proclaiming the Gospel, preparing the table, and all as if I'd been born to do it. Everyone at the parish is so welcoming and seemingly over the moon that I am here now. I remembered many faces (and fewer names) from when I was here in December and it was great to feel so welcomed. I look forward to beginning work here on July 5. But, not until then. Cause first, I'm going on a cruise with my family through the Caribbean to celebrate graduations (Ryan - seminary, Trevor - college, Brennan - high school). And that, my faithful readers, is about all I have to say from here for the time being. My laundry is probably finished so I should go get it (it felt superb to not have to put quarters into it!!). Until next time, maybe before I cruise, maybe after, may God be with you and with us all.

-R

7 Comments:

Congratulations, good luck, and may God bless your future work

By Blogger Northland A, at 4:38 PM  


Yay! Congratulations on the ordination, I'm very glad for you!

By Blogger Susie/Nueva Cantora, at 6:49 PM  


How exciting, what an excellent opportunity to serve.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

By Blogger RC, at 12:33 AM  


BAH!

I'm never going to call you "father," little brother... But, glad to know you're there safe!

- Sherriff

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:07 PM  


Congratulations! I guess I really need to get my act together and move you up into my clergy blogs now. It doesn't seem all that long ago we were sitting in Junkin talking about surviving Seabury ... or it seems like another life.

Anyway, here's hoping that your moving van shows up faster than mine did.

By Blogger Reverend Ref +, at 5:25 PM  


Thank you all for the well-wishes!!

-R

By Blogger Ryan, at 11:23 AM  


Maybe when we both get ordained, we can team up as the "Fathers Ryan"

By Blogger The Archer of the Forest, at 11:04 PM  


Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?