<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, May 02, 2006


Revisiting Faulkner 

You might remember me saying a few weeks ago that I was revisiting Faulkner, an author who plagued me in high school with the intensely confusing The Sound and the Fury. This time, I attempted Light in August, and loved it. The character of Joe Christmas is one who will really stick with me for a long time to come. His character dilemmas intrigued me and I found myself at times feeling sorry for him and at other times despising him. His wanton violence stands in stark relief to the way he persists in trying to discover himself and make for himself a better life. He does not want to commit violence, but seems unable to do anything else when backed into a corner; he knows no other way out. The Rev. Hightower irritated me - his arrogance and then self loathing did nothing to endear him to me and he seemed to me to be an utter failure and poor example of a minister of God. Even if he was defrocked, he did not try to do anything about it. He had some interesting quotes about seminary life though - but I can't seem to find them right now. Lena Grove impressed me and the portrayal of post-Reconstruction South was very moving.

Now, I am reading Gods and Generals by Jeff Shaara, the first in the Civil War trilogy begun by Jeff's father, Michael in 1974 with The Killer Angels.

-R

2 Comments:

As a huge William Faulkner fan, I'm glad you found one you liked. As I Lay Dying is also a good one you might pick up at some point.

By Blogger The Archer of the Forest, at 7:47 PM  


ugh...i can't do faulkner...i've only tried to read independently...never had a faulkner book for school...

but did read killer angels in us history...now that's some good stuff!

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

By Blogger RC, at 5:35 PM  


Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?