<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, March 27, 2006


All of a sudden I have class again... 

After a semester of field ed and a week away, all of a sudden I have class again, starting tomorrow. This is my last quarter of school. Ever. If it weren't Lent, I'd say the "A" word. I think it might be hard to get back into the school mindset; motivation is lacking at this current point in time. But, what must be done, must be done.

On an unrelated noted, I learned a new trick today. Inspired by the example of some others, I decided I needed to amp up my cooking skills and learn some basic techniques. I found some ridiculously cheap -- we're talking $2-$4 -- cookbooks at Border's today on the clearance racks, so I picked those up. Then, I went to the grocery store and bought some staples (for the kitchen, not the office). Upon my return home, I began educating myself. So, for my new trick, I discovered that you mix up some flour with some other ingredients in the right amount, do something called kneading, wait forever in a day, then bake, and something remarkably simlilar to this comes out:

It was/is (I'm far from finished with it) both tasty and delicious. My baking pan wasn't large enough to contain it, thus the crescent shape. I'm amazed at myself and at the fact that it worked. WHat'll they think of next?!

-R

3 Comments:

A tip for bread-rising, especially in winter in drafty apartments:

Pour about a tablespoon of olive oil into the bowl. Put the rounded dough into the bowl, then turn over to coat with the oil. The loaf should be rounded with the "seams" on the bottom, not the top. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.

Turn on the oven to about 350 degrees. When you hear the flame kick on, wait about one minute, then turn in off. Put the bowl into the oven and close the door. This warm, draft-free environment is ideal for rising.

By Blogger anummabrooke, at 8:49 AM  


I'm a big fan of that rising tip, Baruch - I even managed to make bread a couple of time in my SWTS kitchen using that tip!

Go Ryan go! Break making rules!

By Blogger Susie/Nueva Cantora, at 3:54 PM  


last quarter of class until you go back for another degree... ;)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:38 PM  


Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?