<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 25, 2006


A Hope and a Prayer 

Faithful Readers,

During the course of my day today, I had the opportunity to do a little publicity for an upcoming "mini-course" at St. Luke's that is entitled The Battle for the Holy Land and is being led by Prof. Sita Balthazar. Topics go by such scintillating titles as "To Sleep, Eat, and Pray with an M-16: Life as an Israeli Soldier," "Security Wall or Barrier to Peace?" and "Palestinian and Israeli Children: What Now?" So, I handed a flyer to a diocesan priest, who read it and quipped glibly, "Battle for the Holy Land? Ok. Didn't know there was one."

Now, as a colleague put it, did he mean a Holy Land or a battle?

I hope, my dear faithful readers, that if you have learned nothing else from this blog, if you have picked up on nothing more than this one little thing from me, that you have garnered that there was a battle going on in the holy land!!! I don't care if you know the ins and outs of it, know all the political angles or theologies fueling it, but I do care that you are, at the very least, aware that there is a battle.

In the midst of this embarrassment gone unawares, I direct you to two news stories about my beloved region, one about Hamas and the future of Palestinian leadership, and a second about acting Israeli PM Ehud Olmert reinforcing the need to both pull out from parts of the West Bank and for a Palestinian State.

-R

1 Comments:

Not only have I learned more about it from reading your page (cuz really, I can't credit you with filling me in... does this person EVER read a paper?) - but I find myself listening to the news often wondering what you would have to say about various reports. I hope the class goes really well.

By Blogger Susie/Nueva Cantora, at 5:01 PM  


Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?