<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, December 07, 2005


Light at the end of the tunnel... 

...and it doesn't seem so much like a train anymore! I am home in FL for the duration of the month of December and have already been very busy. The first thing I had to do was go to my Diocesan Convention and it was a blast, let me tell you what! Yeah, right. Conventions seem to bring out the best and the worst in the church. And it left me exhausted, partly because I was not feeling very well. I was formally introduced by the Canon to the Ordinary to the laity and clergy of the diocese as a graduating seminarian in search of a job. The bishop spoke up from his podium front and center and said, "And let me assure you, he comes highly recommended!" So, that's always nice to have that sort of endorsement. I met one rector of a congregation in search of an assistant and made a few other contacts, so that was very good.

The past two days I was busy doing final projects and final exams, and then making sure they were emailed off on time. I've still got two liturgy projects to go, one this friday and one next friday, but that should be no problem.

Today, I had to travel to the diocesan office for a meeting with the priest in charge of seminarians and with the Canon to the Ordinary to talk about completing all the paperwork left to complete and filling in missing gaps and........the big one....DEPLOYMENT.

That's right folks, at the age of 24 I am looking for a real job, finally. And I have several places of interest to look. One prelimenary interview is already scheduled. So, if you find the time, please pray with me about getting a good job where I can learn how to be the best priest I can be. I'll try and keep y'all posted.

It was chilly today, low 70's.

Enjoy winter, Chicago!

-R

3 Comments:

No comment on the 70s, especially since Oklahoma's experiencing one of its coldest stretches in years.

Blessings on this search process.

By Blogger Emily, at 4:11 PM  


Congratulations on making contacts, I didn't have that opportunity. FWIW, I will tell you what I told the congregations I interviewed at:

"You are not hiring a priest, and I am not looking for a job. What we are both doing is discerning God's will for our common future together."

Like the old ad for the Navy said, "It's not just a job . . ."

Some things to keep in mind: Is this a place I can serve? Is this a place that is willing to grow and learn with me as a new priest? Do I think I will be happy here? And finally, do I feel called to be here?

There are also some different things to consider when looking at an assistant's position.

Oh -- and part of being the best priest you can involves not gloating. Chilly and low 70's ... indeed.

By Blogger Reverend Ref +, at 7:19 PM  


My toes are cold.....meanie.

Love from Nashvegas-
Sarah

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:01 PM  


Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?