<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 19, 2005


Move # 7 

So, with Hank and Andrea now all moved down to North Rogers Park, that marks 7 moves I've helped with this summer. They have an excellent brownstone apartment and they also have more stuff than any person ever needs, ever. They have a machine called, I'm not kidding, the Presto Sandwich maker. I said, "You know, Andrea, I'll be happy to show you how to make a sandwich by hand if you'd like. I've been doing it for years and believe myself to be quite accomplished." She just laughed.

Today also was the first day of orientation for the new students at Seabury. I got up early and went to Morning Prayer to kick things off right and was quite glad I did. It really felt good to be in the chapel again, hearing a multitude of voices praying together. I stuck around the library and did some Hebrew work, then worked on next week's St. Michael and All Angels liturgy, for which I am the MC. I was then on duty to be server at the Eucharist, which I enjoy doing greatly. I got a few compliments on my serving style from the new students which felt nice to receive, and also opened up the conversations wherein I pleasantly discovered we have quite a few "higher" church-people among us in this year's entering class! I gave them a teaser of what next week's St. Michael's liturgy would include. It's gonna be good.

I am anxious to get to know them all and hear a little bit of their stories. As the Very Rev. Ref pointed out to me once, being a senior is strange, and comes with it's own distinct perspective. For these first few days, you can sit back and watch the Middlers realize with a hint of panic and a full dose of eventual confidence that they're in charge of everything, and see the newbies look like deer caught in headlights, all the while smiling and saying to oneself, "I made it through that." It's going to be a roller coaster of a year, but a great one, I've a feeling.

-R

2 Comments:

Sometimes it's just a matter of getting the spread, whether jelly, or mayonnaise, or what have you, all the way to the edge of the bread. If your friend is simply lumping the spread in a blob in the center of the bread, perhaps this is the source of her frustration, leading her to explore desperate technological fixes.

Not that you don't obviously have the situation well in hand. But I'm open for the assist.

By Blogger geebrooke, at 6:45 PM  


Those memories of watching the middlers and your class wandering the halls . . . it hardly seems like it was two years ago.

Enjoy your last year at SWTS, and with any luck, I'll be back in June.

By Blogger Reverend Ref +, at 10:04 PM  


Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?