<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 08, 2005


Sunday, Busy Sunday 

At church this morning I received a reward I did not expect. While I was at coffee hour in between services, our refugee family arrived (since I'll be writing about them more, I think I'll call them by their name, Yancuba). The youngest child, a 15 year old boy, ran up to me when he saw me, grabbed my hand and said, "It has been a long time since I have seen you. You were not here last Sunday." I felt pretty good, to see that I had had such an impact on someone in such a short amount of time. Later that coffee hour, I learned they had received a gift of a Playstation 2. So, I asked him if he would like a few games. I have a bunch I was going to sell back to EB cause I never play 'em anymore, but this was a better place to give them. So, I went over to their house Sunday afternoon and dropped off four games much to his disbelieving delight. The daughter was quietly pleased as well - she likes to play them but doesn't quite like to admit it. Their Mom and Dad were excited to have me over as well. So excited, in fact, that they fed me. The meal was of rice and fish with a homemade spicy sauce; it was declared by the daughter to be "African food". I enjoyed it a lot, even if it was a bit much for 3pm. I also noticed they had proudly hung their wall clock we bought them last week on their wall, still in the box. I didn't have the heart to say anything.

The remainder of the day was spent helping my self-declared "self sufficient" friend set up her apartment and build the furniture she had bought at Ikea. I built a dresser, a book shelf, a night stand, and a small dresser-like thing. At 11:30, I looked at her, exhausted and said questioningly, "Self-sufficient?" She asked me to let her know when I hated her. Hate is not really a part of my ethos, so I smiled and said it had been my pleasure, which it really had been, just exhaustingly so. I got my "Ryan's Summer Moving Ministry" price out of it as well - dinner and undying gratitude. I really do love helping folks move like that. I don't know, it's kinda weird, but it gives me a sense of accomplishment and it eases the stress on them from moving. Anyway, she has a lovely apartment in the city, a block away from Second City, so I look forward to visiting and admiring her lovely bookshelves.

-R

5 Comments:

Well, we can't give birth or nurse. So it's nice that there are boxes marked "Assembly Required" to give us a feeling of indispensibility. Today I justified my existence by somehow getting my mom's PC to work again.

By Blogger geebrooke, at 3:26 PM  


My thoughts exactly, Brooke. Sometimes, we need to feel indispensible.

-R

By Blogger Ryan, at 5:52 PM  


Admiring her lovely BOOKSHELVES huh?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:52 AM  


Alright Mr. Anonymous 8:52 am, my brother might be 24 years old, but honestly do you really think that when he said he was going to admire her bookshelves he meant breasts? Im mean seriously, look at what you wrote, you sound like a horny little prick. I'm 17 I don't even think i would make such a stupid comment, espcially since what ryan wrote was about how he built the "bookshelves" for the girl. Beal, well your another stroy buddy...were not sure how to deal with you.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:02 PM  


Beal, you're just as horny as the other guy...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:22 PM  


Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?