<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, July 18, 2005


A Real Sunday 

Yesterday was a real Sunday. I got to go to church with friends and sit with them for the service. Afterwards, we had a brunch at a local diner, while talking and laughing. Then I came home and was lazy for the remainder of the afternoon. It was about as pleasant as can be. Bob agreed to preach at my ordination service, whenever that ends up being (likely Dec. 2006). He was shocked and honored. He said he was going to get to work on it right away. I laughed and said, "No, you're not. You're going to work on it 30 minutes before the service like you always do! I don't want you to show up witha carefully thought out manuscript. I want you to come, start preaching by telling a Mulla Nasrudin story, wander around a bit while rambling about something else, find you point again, lose it again, wander some more, tell another story, laugh when you find your point again and decide to end it while you're ahead!" He was laughing so hard he almost couldn't eat anymore.

During the Gospel, I noticed a woman two pews in front of me have a terrible reaction to the incense. She got this awful look on her face, immediately pulled out her albuterol inhaler, took a couple of puffs, and spent the next few minutes breathing shallowly and with considerable effort. She eventually had to excuse herself. So, she and her friend obviously being visitors, when it came time for the offertory (where they use incense again), I leaned forward, tapped her on the shoulder and alerted her to the imminent usage of more smoke. She thanked me profusely and got up to walk to the back. Don't get me wrong, I love incense. But, I'm also asthmatic and I know all to well what it is like to not be able to take a breath. No one should have to experience that. During all this, I looked across the way to see K sitting there, but he ran out before I could go over and say hi. Hope you enjoyed it and will come back.

Spent 30 minutes last night slaying mosquitoes in my bedroom. Last year, it was spiders. This year I took preventative measures against the spiders, which apparently have been effective, as their natural food has now swarmed the place. Why are there mosquitoes in Chicago?? They've gotten lost from FL clearly. When is winter coming!!

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?