<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 08, 2005


2% Inspiration, 98% Perspiration 

I spent the vast majority of today sweating. Summer has arrived to Chicago, which means that my apartment turns into something akin to a large sauna. You can bake a turkey just by setting it on the living room table. I took one cup of coffee this morning before deciding I couldn't handle anymore and sweat while reading a little of my book. I sweat over lunch and tried to cool down with some ice cold Capri Sun (which company, by the way, has done the greatest thing ever by introducing the "BIG Pouch" for us drinkers who need a bit more than 6.5 oz of refreshing beverage). Then I went to help my friend Jenni move out of the seminary. It was sad but fulfilling and I earned my sweat there. On the way back to my place I got the call from Frank that his softball team needed an extra tonight, could I play? Having nothing more pressing to do, I of course agreed. Went 2 for 3 with 1B and 2B. It was pretty fun; I rode my bike to the field, played ball, and rode my bike back, so there again I earned my sweat. Then I showered and I began sweating while towleing off. That's just wrong. It reminded me of Boy Scout summer camp in South Florida, where it is impossible to get sweat off of you at any time, even while swimming. I sweat while cooking dinner and I sweat while eating it. I sweat while I watched a bit of the Actor's commentary on the Fellowship of the Ring DVD. Then, I made myself a drink to try and cool off. One of the rewards for helping Jenni move was I inherited about half of her liquor collection; I've got stuff now I've never even tasted before, and some stuff I've never even heard of. I had to smell Creme de Cacao to figure out what exactly it was. So, I got out my trusty Bartender's Bible and looked up some fancy drinks that I could now make cause I have more odd liquors and liqueurs than I know what to do with (don't worry, I'll find a way to use 'em!). It was then that I came across the "Dirty Girl Scout". I must admit, I did actually read the entry because of the title, but it was the ingredients that made me decide to mix it up. 1 oz Bailey's, 1 oz Kahlua, 1 oz Vodka, 1 oz Creme de Menthe, shaken in a shaker full of ice and poured over ice. Three words - Liquid Thin Mint. It was so cooling and refreshing that I actually didn't sweat during the actual seconds when I was sipping it. It has a kind of revolting color to it, but other than that, it was pretty tasty. I may make it again sometime. Now, I've retreated to my bedroom sanctuary, which has an AC unit that is only powerful enough to cool down the bedroom, so I keep the door closed. It feels so good in here! I may just haveto breakdown and get an AC unit for the living room - today was simply miserable. I'm going on my NC trip starting this Thursday, so if I can make it till then, I may get one when I get back. Ok, now, to read!

-R

P.S. There are two kinds of soreness. The first kind is the kind when you genuinely have injured yourself and you hurt. Or when you've got the flu and are sore all over. Same category. It sucks. Then there is the soreness that comes from good ole physical exertion - be it from exercise, sports, or manual labor. This is the good kind because you know you've done something positive, something constructive. I worked out yesterday, moved Jenni (which involved deadlifting a loader trailer), played softball, and rode my bike today. So, it is with a sick pleasure that I will melt into bed, probably groaning slightly, trying to get comfortable. Ok, maybe I'm crazy, but I like it!

1 Comments:

It's good to know you find moving fulfilling. In a couple of weeks I'll be looking for some help with furniture. ;)

I've never decided whether to be offended, indifferent, or flattered at the title "dirty girl scout" - but they are delicious.

By Blogger Beth, at 10:45 AM  


Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?