<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, May 10, 2005


Refreshing Beverages 

I am a man who likes to drink. I don't just mean the devil's water either. If there's one thing I enjoy, it is a refreshing beverage. Hot. Cold. With ice. Without. In a can. In a bottle. In a glass. In a cup. In a mug. I like to drink. Someone noted this recently while looking into my fridge and said, "Do you ever eat anything? Or do you just drink?"

I have a whole line of beverages at my disposal and I relish in it. Tonight, for example, I had a Seabreeze as a pre-dinner cocktail. With my dinner I had some plain cranberry juice. Then, later tonight, as sort of a dessert drink, I enjoyed a childhood favorite, Sunkist. At any given time I have a pitcher of sweet tea or lemonade or Krystal Light in my fridge, along with a Brita filter water pitcher, orange juice, grapefruit juice, and cranberry juice. Several kinds of sodas adorn my refrigerator shelves: Coca-Cola Classic, 7-Up, Diet Coke (for guests), Ginger Ale, and as of today, the aforementioned Sunkist.

And lets not forget the adults only section. 2 MGD's are left waiting for the right occasion in the fridge. On the shelf are a variety of fine single malt Scotch Whiskys, including but not limited to the Glenlivet, the Cragganmore, and the Balvenie Doublewood. Down below you'll find the house vodka, gin, two kinds of rum, tequila, triple sec, peach schnapps, cognac, and some vermouth.

In the kitchen stands ready for daily use the Folger's can - Classic brew. I also have some Israeli coffee, heavy with cardamon and some decaf. Of teas there are many, a sampling of which includes darjeeling, earl grey, genmai cha pop, green pekoe, peppermint (regular and nana (Israeli)), chamomile, and hojicha.

I never really thought about it until that person asked if I just drink everything instead of eat, but, as I've discovered, I am quite the enjoyer of myraid beverages. All for just the right time, with just the right people, in just the right place.

Damn, the bachelor life is good!

More serious topics I've been thinking about to come: anthropomorphism of God(?). Field-ed. How I can justify getting D&D Online when it comes out later this year.

-R

7 Comments:

I drink water with lemon - not because it makes me 'sophisticated' but because I like lemon water. And because often, I'm trying to live cheaply.

On the other hand, when I can, I do like a good beverage. I'm curious though - what is the "right occasion" for MGDs? I've never quite found one, outside the ballpark.

By Blogger Beth, at 12:29 PM  


Enjoying a beverage and having one for a meal are two far different things, my friend. One is for me, the other is not.

Never much cared for sherry or a glass of Grand Mariner neat. Scotch serves both purposes admirably.

As for the right ocvcasion for an MGD, you hit the nail on the head - sporting events. Live or on television.

-R

By Blogger Ryan, at 1:27 PM  


I enjoy a good MGD during lunch at school...makes the day seem so much more relaxing, not to mention quicker...only on off days,though, never a game day.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:11 PM  


This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

By Blogger Jane Ellen+, at 10:38 PM  


I'm often more thirsty than I am hungry; like you, I like to keep several options on hand:

Tea (iced or hot, herbal or chai)
Hot chocolate (with marshmallows!)
Pop (of various stripes; a good root beer is a favorite, and I don't do diet)
Wine (if food is not an influence, I tend to prefer whites over reds)
Fruit juice of many sorts
Water (with or without lemon, but definitely over ice)

It all sounds good to me.

(Oh, and sorry about the blanks; Blogger is acting hinky tonight)

By Blogger Jane Ellen+, at 10:39 PM  


Nothing beats a glass of sweet ice tea, which unfortunately cannot be found in Chicago.

I gave up ice tea for lent one year...it nearly ended in fiasco

By Blogger The Archer of the Forest, at 1:26 AM  


Archer,

Once I thought as you did, and so learned to make my own sweet tea (which, by the way, you're welcome to anytime you wanna stop by). But then I heard that the Dixie Kitchen in downtown Evanston will serve you sweet tea, and I think, though cannot confirm, that Merle's will as well.

-R

By Blogger Ryan, at 10:40 AM  


Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?