<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 02, 2005


Potential Calling 

I was talking to my Mom tonight about Atlanta Braves stuff in general and how I had recently learned from a friend in the know that Chris Reitsma (RHP #37) is a really strong Christian. I think it's really cool to learn stuff like that because sports announcers rarely will mention a player's faith. She agreed and said that John Smoltz (RHP #29) was also a very strong Christian. She told me that while on road trips, Smoltzie will lead Bible studies with the guys who are so inclined. Again, cool tidbits you don't hear about very often.

Well, this led me to a new idea, which may develop into a new calling.

Ryan R. Whitley: Atlanta Braves Chaplain.

I could get a place in Atlanta, travel with the team on road trips, I'd of course have a uniform and be present in the dugout, could hold Mass in a home church in Atlanta and have a traveling altar at which to say Mass while on the road, and just generally be the spiritual counsel for the team. I think if I contact John Schuerholz and Bobby Cox now, something will be able to be worked out by the time I'm ordained...wow...the possibilities...

-R

6 Comments:

I'm all about calls that make good thematic sense. I, for example, believe I am being called to be a Bed & Breakfast Chaplain. Andrea wants to run one, I want to be sure it includes a coffee shop, and throw priest into the mix and what else could I possibly be called to!?

By Blogger The Rev. Dr. Debra K. Bullock, at 11:07 AM  


i hate to bust this dream... but they already have a chaplain. most sports teams do.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:34 PM  


Actually, I wasn't aware of that at all! I was actually just engaging in a bit of wistful thinking, but it turns out that they do have a chaplain, as do most sports teams, so Mr. Anon was correct. The Braves Chaplian is Tim Cash (http://www.upi.org/staff/cash-tim.html) and he is also the director of "Unlimited Potential" - a ministry that provides chaplains to over 400 major and minor league baseball teams internationally! This is amazing! So, now that what I was imagining is a reality, the question is, how do I go about getting the job?

-R

By Blogger Ryan, at 9:33 PM  


Hi again Ash -

After perusing your team blog, I noted that the phrase "Work Forest" came up. This led me to believe that you are a student at my Alma Mater, Wake Forest. Now, that led me to think of the embarassing possibility that I actually know you and have failed to acknowledge that. If that's the case, first - I'm sorry and second - how do I know you?

-R

By Blogger Ryan, at 9:35 PM  


Beal, God CAN care about sports teams,he just can't pick favorites! Hope all is well with you- Ryan's Mom

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:02 PM  


We love you Beal!! You're great! And God always roots for His Son!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:47 PM  


Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?