<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, May 13, 2005


Pentecost Reading in Ivrit 

So, a while ago I volunteered at Canterbury to do the Acts 2 Pentecost reading in Hebrew. Lo, and behold! Pentecost is this Sunday!!! Yikes!!! I pulled up a Hebrew NT on the web, hoping against hope it would be pointed. Thank you, it was! Now I am busy transliterating it so I can actually read it with some confidence instead of in a halting, beginner's voice. If I can make it work, maybe I'll post it to the blog using the Audio Blogger thingy. Y'all have to remember though that my pronunciation will not be perfect - likely it will be a mix between modern hebrew and ancient hebrew. Just a warning, I won't get everything right, so if any of you faithful readers out there are also native Hebrew speakers, forgive my arrogance in the slaughtering of your language.

-R

4 Comments:

I chickened out, arranged to read just the Joel quote...

Then I got inspired so I put together the (including Hebrew).

By Blogger Tim Bulkeley, at 10:08 PM  


Wow, Tim - that's is a neat project. I listened to it and felt like it had to be close to the original experience in some ways. Good for you, for putting that together. I hope your project goes well for you!

-R

By Blogger Ryan, at 11:51 PM  


R E Ramcharan - this is a good question, and I'm glad someone asked. On Pentecost, as you know, the Holy Spirit came down and everyone heard Peter's sermon in their own language (xenoglossia). As a way to commemorate that event, my congregation, as well as many others, have people who can read languages other than the dominant language do the Acts 2 reading in those languages. Since I am familiar with Hebrew, that is the reading I will attempt to pull off today. The other languages being read at my congregation today are spanish, french, russian, and greek. Hope that helps, and thanks for stopping by!

-R

By Blogger Ryan, at 9:55 AM  


Even more to R E Ramcharan's point, the people talking to each other -- right before bursting out into different languages -- were speaking Aramaic about scriptures written in Hebrew. Go figure.

By Blogger Jim, at 9:27 AM  


Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?