<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, April 30, 2005


Scotch Tasting Party 

Scotch Tasting - The Complement
Scotch Tasting - The Complement,
originally uploaded by whitleyrr.
The Scotch Whisky Tasting Party tonight was a high and snooty success. We tasted a number of different Scotches, some wonderful, some less than desirable. I think my favorite description of the night had to have been of the Ardbeg 10 yr., the crowd's least favorite - "Like a group of Irish monks being beaten by Vikings!" Now, this was the first one we tasted, so we were not yet silly, and the description was fairly accurate. It was a West Islay Scotch, which does have its own distinctive peaty flavor usually only enjoyed by a select group of grizzled old men. But, I could see how it might be able to grow on me. For the rest of us, it tasted like "new car smell."

I believe the Glenmorangie 10 yr. was the favorite of the evening, with the Aberlour 10 yr. being a close second. The Glenmorangie does have its distinctive, unusual notes of sea-salt air at the same time it has a hint of cinnamon, making it an exquisite and fine malt from the Highlands. The Aberlour 10, from the lowlands, began with a sweetness that disappeared into a punch that was quite pleasant. Its later spiciness made it a crowd favorite. I brought the Talisker 10, a peppery, spicy, "volcanic" malt - the only malt from the Isle of Skye. Poeple enjoyed it, but not as much as the aforementioned. It had more in common, if more explosive, with the Ardbeg than any of the others. All that said, we all agreed we need to do this again sometime - it was a heck of a lot of fun and I got to taste a bunch of malts I've never tasted before! And, best of all, I maintained my goal of not becoming drunk! Well, I am a little tipsy, I've been drinking Scotch all night after all, but I am not drunk, which makes me and nine o' clock tomorrow morning very happy indeed.

-R

2 Comments:

Correction - The Aberlour 10 is from Speyside.

-R

By Blogger Ryan, at 10:32 AM  


I think I read somewhere that the unique character of the West Islay malts arises from the use of seaweed on the fires when drying the malt.

Not that I know anything about this, having had the "water of life" but once in my life. At least it was at the Glenfiddich distillery.

By Blogger Dawgdays, at 12:18 AM  


Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?