<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, April 02, 2005


A Full Weekend 

Last night a classmate and I ventured downtown to join Jeff and his girlfriend at the Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art for their First Friday's event. It was a lot of fun; we saw some weird art and made some creative postcards; a cadre of women whom Jeff and I know showed up and I, at least, enjoyed catching up with some of them who I have not seen in a long time; my classmate ran into an 8th grade schoolmate of hers in line and they recognized each other - surreal.

This morning was the first softball practice of the season (and a more gorgeous day we could not have wanted) and I must say the Saints are leagues ahead of where we were this time last year. Batting looks decent, fielding can always use some work even among the more experienced and athletic players, and the new additions to the team will quickly find their niche. Following that I veged out for a while and watched a couple of Six Feet Under episodes over lunch. Then I headed to St. Luke's to be trained for acolyting (I make my acolyte debut at Mass tomorrow as a torchbearer). I was told to be there at 4 for the meeting, which was to be after the new priest's installation service. So I arrived ready for a casual meeting, dressed in a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals (given the warm weather). I walk in in the middle of the service. The first thing I notice is the two Bishops. Nervously I settle in to the back pew and glance around seeing no less than three of my professors. Embarrassment doesn't cover how I felt. They were just beginning the Eucharistic prayer, so I joined in during the appropriate parts. I could not, however, bring myself to walk up that aisle to receive communion. Not only did I feel physically unprepared, but somewhat spiritually as well, seeing as how I missed the Liturgy of the Word. After the service, I got my training, which was fun and I am looking forward to tomorrow's service. This is gonna be fun!

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?