<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 22, 2005


Revolted 

For the first time in my entire life I have disrespected a book and its author by slapping it and throwing it across the room. I am feeling revolted, actually physically revolted, after reading two of the assigned chapters in Jean Bethke Elshtain's book entitled Just War Against Terror: The Burden of American Power in a Violent World. I am sincerely hoping this text is going to be used as a counter example in class. Sincerely hoping. She misuses her quotes and examples to carefully lead readers away from interpretations she fears. She only goes so far in analyzing particular situations; far enough to support the point she wants to make, but stops short of what would provide a radical counterexample to what she is trying to say. She piles up truths and solid evidence, but then arrives at what sometimes is a ludicrous conclusion. She is extremely nuanced in presenting her own viewpoint, but when presenting dissenters' viewpoints she gets black and white. I could go on, but I'm not going to give the book that much air time. If you want to see what I'm talking about, PLEASE check it out of a library. DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK. Or you can have my copy once this term is over. I've never thrown a book before and I'm somewhat ashamed that I did. But I can't go back to reading that book right now. It makes me too sad.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?