<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 06, 2005


Hebrew 

Wow. (Which is different from waw.) This is going to be a tough class, but the reward for hard work is exciting. On Wednesday we went over the aleph-bet (alphabet), transliteration, how each character sounds, and which characters have final forms and/or the dagesh. We will be quizzed on all of that tomorrow, so I am busy studying away. Ideally, I should study Hebrew each day for about an hour to an hour and a half, which means I will really have to manage my time well if I am to get in all my other studying plus maintain my attendance at the gym. I am excited about the class though and excited about learning this biblical language. To all those who have gone before and done it, props to you!

I woke up this morning to see my car buried in snow. 20 minutes of shoveling and scraping got it drivable and then, sending up a quick prayer, I backed out into the alley hoping not to get stuck or spin out, and was on my way carefully, carefully to school. Saints preserve us, let's talk about how much snow 13 inches in one night actually is!

-R

5 Comments:

How bout a prayer for me as I go to Indy this weekend? Let's just hope it doesn't get too cold for your Florida bro!! I'll be going for my third lifetime sighting of this strange phenomenon you northerners call snow.

Trevor

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:13 PM  


Whoa, whoa, whoa there Trevor - let's be careful how you throw around that term "northerners". I happen to now reside in the north (actually, the midwest) but that's a far cry from being a northerner. And of course, travel prayers for you ascending. Have fun in Indy!

-R

By Blogger Ryan, at 10:21 PM  


I studied biblical and modern Hebrew with a rabbi while I was still in college, before starting seminary. I eventually got to the point that I started to think in Hebrew. It was one of the most mind-expanding things that I have ever done. You will be floored the first time you pick up a Bible and the Hebrew speaks to you.
I recommend the "Stone" edition of the TNK with the Hebrew and English on facing pages. A beautiful book for around $75.

-Steve

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:37 PM  


Ryan, I had a great visit in Chicago the cold and snow waited til I was safely headed south again. My Methodist brother invited his asst. pastor to join us for dinner one night while I was there. Turns out her spiritual director is a female priest at Seabury, first name is Donna, I think???? Two great shows trying out in Chciago try and see them if you can. Goodle "Spamalot" and you will see why. We could not get tickets while I was there, but we did see "All Shook Up" the show with Elvis music. Lots of fun! Tom

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:36 AM  


Now, my boy, 36" in one day is worth whining about. That may happen before the winter is out. We are only half way through. Not even that, really.

And the first person to bandy about the word "northerner" in my direction gets baptized again...and I dunk! Trevor, I understand that you are a gentleman and a scholar. I expect you to keep a civil tongue. None of that foul language here.

Ha!

By Blogger Tripp Hudgins, at 2:50 PM  


Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?