<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, December 21, 2004


Joys and Sorrows 

The past several days have been difficult all around, even in the midst of some very joyous occassions. It was my pleasure and honor on Sunday night to attend the Ordination to the Priesthood of my good friend Doug Scharf. Doug and I have known each other from our high school Happening days when he was the rector of Happening #39 and I of Happening #40 in our diocese. We worked together through each of those weekends and supported each other in prayer as we both entered "the process" towards ordination. Now, his long journey is complete, and an even greater and longer journey begun. The service itself was awe-inspiring - not just because of all the clergy present to lay hands on Doug, not just because of the obvious presence of the Spirit, not just because I felt that I am unworthy to have all this happen to me in two years, and not just because our Bishop has an awesome voice for proclamation, but because I knew that many more of my friends around the country were being ordained the same day. For fear of not remembering all of them, I will just say congratulations and thanks be to God for all of you.

For each action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the midst of the excitment and joy leading up to and during Doug's ordination, several of our brothers and sisters departed this mortal life. My dear friend Lauren's grandmother passed away after a long bout with cancer; the service is later today and I'll be attending. A gentleman from my home parish who was on my discernment committee, Frank Hammond, was driving the other day when a dump truck ran a stop sign, broadsided him, and sent him to the hospital with such brain damage that he would never be able to recover. His passed away on Friday. After a long history of health problems, Cliff's brother in law Delane, died on the 17th. You can read more about that here. Pray for those who have died, that they may have their rest this day in peace and rise one day in glory! Pray for the families and loved ones who will miss them, the Tripp's, the Hammond's and the Sykes', that they may know the comfort of the Holy Spirit. Pray for all those who will miss loved ones who have gone before them during this holiday season. It is always hard. Pray also for me as I struggle with my own calling and all the hoops set before me. Pray.

-R

1 Comments:

Thats cool about your friend Doug! The girl-now-woman who was Rector when I was OR for Happening is also a priest - attending her ordination a couple years ago, right before I came to Seabury, was really powerful. Congratulations to him!

By Blogger Susie/Nueva Cantora, at 1:40 PM  


Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?