<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, December 15, 2004


Dance, Boy, Dance! 

Write "postulant" in place of "boy" and you'll get the gist of what I'll be doing for the 'process' for the next year and a half. I had an extremely informative meeting today with the priest in my diocese about everything I have to do now in order to get candidacy and then ordained. It is really quite a lot of things. First, I need to get all my forms into them: CPE completion certificate, Safeguarding God's Children and God's People completion certificates, and then a letter from the C.O.M. saying they reccommend me. Now, that last point means a meeting with them, which is the big time issue right now, because when that will take place, I've no idea. It seems likely that I will have to come back down to FL during reading week of Winter Quarter to get that meeting done. That will be a frustration, but I'll be glad when it is finally done. Then, I found out today, the diocese does in fact have summer plans for me. I was informed today of the diocesan policy that during the second summer of seminary we are expected to "work with youth", which means working the diocesan summer camp. Now, inherently, that is not a bad thing; I've worked that camp before and it's a blast! However, I have an apartment in Chicago that needs paying for - summer camp salary doesn't cover it. So, I'll have to figure that out. I'll also have to lay to rest my plans to apply for the Caux Scholars Intern position and hopefully it won't interfere with the Lambda Chi Alpha reunion some of us are planning for the summer too. Once I am a candidate, there dance begins again and I have to reapply for the diaconate. Needless to say, today, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and frustrated that all of this isn't written down somewhere on a list that I could see and check off as I go along. This does eventually come to an end, right?

-R

4 Comments:

"This does eventually come to an end, right?" Oh sweet Lord, I hope so.

As to the summer gig, have you talked to your bishop/Canon to the Ordinary/whomever is your contact at the diocese? You might bring that program of yours up as a possible alternative, and/or explain the financial issues, as well. They may say "tough," and you're at camp next summer-- which, as you say, is not a bad thing. However, someone may well allow some variation in the requirements, which could work in your favor otherwise.

By Blogger Jane Ellen+, at 12:07 AM  


Congratulations on that K, good work! Now you get to learn this dance...

-R

By Blogger Ryan, at 10:25 AM  


Yes, it does come to an end, but it sure sucks pond scum while you are going through it. I had to continually ask/tell myself, "Is this what God wants me doing? And if so, then I trust that God didn't set me up to fail."

I likened the experience to jumping through continually smaller and smaller hoops that, at some point, get ignited.

Hang in there, bro.

By Blogger Reverend Ref +, at 1:34 PM  


Ref stole my line. He's been like that for a long time.

I find that though the hoop jumping ends, depending on where you end up, the flames may still be there, but now you have the whip and are wondering if the lions will figure out that you are edible.

A curious line of work, the circus.

By Blogger Tripp Hudgins, at 10:39 PM  


Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?