<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, October 04, 2004


Dammit 

Remember how I mentioned that this weekend's Diocesan Convention was going to be lively? Yeah, well, it just got a lot more lively. I received word tonight that the Via Media group in my diocese is planning on calling for Bishop John's resignation at the convention. This is a group who, though cleverly naming themselves in the middle, are actually left of center theologically. You'll be hard pressed to find mention in their stated purpose/goals the issue of human sexuality or anything to do with Gene Robinson, but the group was formed in response to our Bishop's vote against Robinson at the 2003 General Convention. It was a way for people who supported Robinson's consecration to stand together in a diocese where they found more conservative winds blowing a bit too strongly for their theological weathervanes, which is all well and good to me; they certainly are welcome to do that. I support the clause in their mission statement that reads: "To move beyond threats of schism holding firm to the image of "one body in Christ"", but it seems to me that calling for their Bishop's resignation promotes a schism of a kind, rather than seeking to prevent one. This is all a big headache, and what's more, to make issues potentially more complicated, one of the big wigs in Via Media is the chairman of the Commission on Ministry. I don't know if any of this will directly affect me at all, but the possibility is there. I also heard that the Bishop will not be accepting their call, as well he shouldn't! Keeping in mind that at this point all this is heresay, I am still a bit worried about what is going to happen at Convention. Whatever your position on this issue, please offer prayers for reasoned, considered, compassionate debate; for the love of Christ to be primary; for an unfractured diocese in an already beat up SW Florida; and for peace.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?