<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, October 03, 2004


1 Down, 2 to Go 

Trips in October, that is. Next weekend I'm headed home for my Diocesan Convention, which promises to be lively. Then, two weeks after that, I'm headed to SEATTLE - where I was assigned for my Plunge site. I'm pumped, because I've never been further West than St. Louis and Seattle is suppossed to be a cool city. I'm also glad that I'll be spending the two weeks with some good folks as your traveling partners really can make it or break it.

As for the conference this past weekend, it was good, but challenging and left a little to be desired at the end. We did not speak at all about the international context, which confused me and left a giant elephant in the room (Palestine/Israel). When the Anglican statement about possible divestment from Israel came out during the conference, written by one of the bishops organizing the conference, it pissed off some of the Jewish contingent who said they felt "betrayed". They left early before discussion could occur. That was disappointing, because we really needed to talk about this issue and clarify some points. But, if the Anglican Communion wants to divest from Israel, I stand behind them. It will send a strong message, long needed, to Israel to get their act together. Aside from that, I met lots of good people, as I'd mentioned before, including the new rector at St. Anne's Episcopal in Winston-Salem, NC, where I went to church for a year before our campus ministry got our act together to get a pianist. We chatted about all sorts of things and people we both knew. I sent regards with him to give to several parishoners and former professors of mine. Talking about future job possibilities, he said that all he would have to do to get me a job in the diocese is give my name to Bishop Curry. I said that I would love that but that I needed to serve in my home diocese for a few years first. Eventually, I do want to end back up in NC, and it now seems my networking capabilities will help that. It's nice to be wanted.

Tomorrow morning in Children's Chapel we're making clay necklaces with a mustard seed in them - I hope the kids like it as much as I'm looking forward to the idea!

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?