<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 20, 2004


Let Us Break Bread Together 

Today was the first day of Orientation for the new entering class of Seabury, marking a very important occasion: the cessation of my class being the "new entering class of Seabury". As a crew member for the Orientation committee, I volunteered to help two other classmates meet the new students at our doors as they walked through them for (symbolically) the first time. Handing them welcome packets and directing them where to go was a great way to meet each of them and put a face to a name. I was pleased to see that Gregor was among those students to cross our threshold - he is a student from my home diocese and will be a great person with which to share this journey of soon-to-be cold weather learning. I was proud of my other classmates as I looked around and saw each of them assuming new responsibilities and challenges. Attending Morning Prayer and Holy Eucharist was also wonderful. The chapel was full of praising voices once again and it was good to be among my peers for the breaking of the bread, some of whom I had not seen in quite some time and will merit a lot of catching up in the coming weeks. After Eucharist we all headed over to the re-designed, better than ever, unbelievable LUNCH! That's right ladies and gentlemen - we fired Aramark apparently and hired a real live chef! No more fried foods with a side of carbs and a cookie for lunch 5 days a week! (Actually, I think I'll miss those cookies...) Today's menu featured a choice of select breads, a CARVING STATION of ham or turkey(!!!), fresh greens for salad, chunky chicken noodle soup, and water - in pitchers already on the table!!! That may seem a simple thing to you non-Seabury readers, but let me assure it is no laughing matter. This was marvelous! I can't go on about it or I'll get too excited again. So, the day was a good one full of good reconnections. As I reflect back on my experience of Seabury Orientation, I cannot help but remember a hilarious IM conversation I had with a buddy of mine the night before my orientation began, which I will leave you with tonight:

Taylor: ok, I'm heading to bed
Ryan: yeah, me too, gotta be up at 7 tomorrow
Taylor: you're aware that tomorrow is saturday, right?
Ryan: Yeah, but they want to orient us on Saturday for some reason
Taylor: I thought you Episcopals had stopped worrying about orientation

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?