<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, August 04, 2004


Fast Cars 

So, Isis (my car) is in the shop having some work done and while it is there, the dealership has given me a loaner car. I think their policy is to give you a better car than the one you drive to entice you to buy it, but this only works on the wealthy and easily tempted - neither of which I am. So, they have given me a G-35, a shiny but subdued red in color. It is such an excellent piece of equipment and this town's 35mph speed limits are really hampering my enjoyment of this car. I likely have to give it back today as mine will be ready, so that'll be sad. We'll not discuss the other Infiniti drivers/cars in my family.

Ironically enough, this morning's staff devotion at the hospital was on how we shouldn't build up treasures on earth or hoard material things. I thought the way she went with the devotion was a little melodramatic (complaining about her son's fascination with baseball cards and her complicity in getting them for him) but I think I got the overall point. While she was explaining that, all I could hear in my mind was my mother saying, "It all depends on where you are in life." The kid is nine - he is allowed to like baseball cards if you ask me. And really, what a wonderful teaching moment - talk to him about the value of things and how Mom can't just keep buying him these cards. The kid thinks they are worth a lot of money, so explain to him that they are only worth what you can sell them for (a lesson my father taught me in my card collecting days). If he wants cards, let him earn them, or let him earn some money/allowance and teach him that he has to use that money as best as he sees fit: you can't have both an ice cream cone and a pack of baseball cards on Friday afternoon after school (nine year old fiscal responsibility). She's right to point out that her willingness to indulge him is problematic if it continues, but to use this as a cosmic example of Christ's teachings about material wealth is probably carrying it a bit far.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?