<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, August 01, 2004


Absolutely Perfect Day 

Today was one of those rare days that I can look back upon and declare to be simply wonderful. It began early (which I know doesn't make most people's list of qualifiers for perfect days). Yesterday afternoon, I went down to Lincoln Park to help Jeff move out of his old apartment. Unfortunately, he could not move into the new apartment yet, because the lease timing was one day off. Luckily, however, our friend Sam(antha) lived in the same building as Jeff and is moving to the same new building as he is. So, we took all his stuff down to her first floor apartment to keep for the night and would move it in the morning, which is why we had to get up early today. I say we because seeing as how Jeff was homeless for the night, I offered him my futon and he readily accepted. So, about 8:15 this morning we got up and got on the train back down to Lincoln Park. Walking from the station to his apartment we passed a Panera and stopped in for a cup of coffee and a pecan roll. Just walking around the streets of Chicago at that hour of day in perfect weather was wonderful. We got to the apartments (the old and new buildings only being separated by two other buildings) and began moving stuff from Sam's apartment/storage into Jeff's new apartment once he got the keys. All morning we worked, carrying the large, heavy, and bulky items first. Sweating like pigs, we worked into the afternoon. At about 2pm we decided we needed a little lunch break and so I walked around the corner and picked up a bunch of Chicago style hot dogs that just hit the spot. Sam had hired movers for her, plus her parents were here to help her so she didn't need much from us; Jeff and I just concentrated on his apartment. Finishing up around 4pm we went for ice cream at Coldstone, stopping along the way for a popsicle, which were being handed out for free by an eager marketer. After the frozen treats we sat in his apartment for a little while and played a video game (hooking up the TV being one of the first priorities) and relaxed, basking in an amazing sense of accomplishment. I left around 5pm to return to my place so that I could shower before Sam, Jeff, and Sam's family came to my apartment to pick me up for dinner. Sam's family decided to take Jeff and I out to one of their favorite kosher restaurants (they're Jewish) in Skokie to celebrate the moving being finished. Dinner was excellent - I had Lamb Tignine, which involved apricots and dates! Sam's leaving on Wednesday for a 2 week trip to Israel, so we wished her good luck on that as well. She works for the Israeli Consulate and they are having her lead an education trip for students who have never been before. She encouraged me to come down to her office at the Consulate and check out what other programs they have to offer. Chuckling, I said they probably have my picture posted in that particular office as one of the people they don't like to let in! She and I, having a good understanding of one another, had a good laugh while her parents just looked on confused. We didn't feel it was the time nor the place to explain. So, now that I am stuffed, happy, delighted, and accomplished, I think I will retire early to catch up on a few missed Zzz's from the weekend. God's blessing on Sam as she travels and may her work with these students foster understanding and peace.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?