<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, July 25, 2004


HTML Complications 

Back when I started blogging here with Blogger, the post creator was simple.  If you wanted anything fancy done in the HTML script, you had to do it yourself.  So, in designing my blog, I went about learning all the HTML stuff I needed to know and subsequently edited it into my blog's template so that the page you are reading now looks the way it looks.  That was way back in November and my own editing has more or less been absorbed, to my novice eyes, in the rest of the blog's template.

Recently, Blogger updated their system to make it more user friendly, which was a good service.  They made it easier to link to things, emphasize fonts, include titles and commenting systems, change colors, etc.  In other words, all the things I had edited myself, Blogger had now done for me.  This caused my editing and the new template and post editor programs to butt heads, which is the reason you may have noticed a lack of titles to my postings for a few days.  It did other things too, but none near as noticeable.  I got around this problem by jerry-rigging it - at best a temporary fix becuase ti was really annoying to have to do that each time.  Well, now I've spent some time during my on-call shift this morning (cause nothing is happening) learning about the new system, locating all my own changes, editing them to be more compatible with the system changes or deleting them where they were redundant.  Now, everything should be back to normal with just a few barely perceptible necessary changes.  I'll be leaving my HaloScan commenting system in place for now and ignoring Blogger's commenting system.  The Blogger system may let you post comments exceeding 1000 characters in length, but it forces you to sign in first, an extra step for commenting that may discourage a casual commentor from writing and depriving me of their valuable words.  That being done and said, I return to my day, or really, to my book until the pager buzzes me back to reality.

-R



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?