<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 14, 2004


A.L. Does it Again

Much to my family's chagrin and Jeff's delight, the American League has once again won the All-Star game, securing home field advantage for the World Series. The game was pretty exciting from the get-go, with the A.L. starting lineup dominating Clemens. Oh well, better luck next year.

Yesterday in CPE nothing much went on with which I was directly involved. I made my rounds and visited my patients until noon, when my family came to meet me for lunch. That was fun! After lunch I brought them down to the ER to show them what it was like. We arrived just after a serious trauma was over and the unit was calming down. John explained to us what happened, but it was not until this morning that I discovered the full extent of the trauma. A man was standing in line at a Subway restaurant when an elderly driver confused brake pedal for gas, accelerating at high speed into the restaurant. The man in line was struck and propelled into the sneeze guard over the sandwich fixings, partially decapitating him. He died in the ER. The entire event was extremely traumatic for all involved. It made the news even. Docs and nurses are still talking about it today. Paramedics and firefighters on the scene were pretty upset by it. I just fielded a phone call of a family who was in the restaurant when it happened (unhurt, praise God) who wanted some information about counseling services. I can imagine quite a few folks might need that. Just goes to show us once again that anything can happen at any time. Sobering thoughts.

Today, I'm in the ER and then will go upstairs to my ICU units before lunch. After lunch I will work on student stuff, writing up my mid-unit evaluation, which I will present tomorrow. We listened to two of them yesterday and I'm not sure I care for some of the format, but that's pretty much just par for the course.

Beal watched "Big Fish", I read, and I commend him and McGinley on an excellent movie choice! I loved that movie and I think there's enough in it to keep us pondering for quite a few viewings.

Later on tonight Myra and I are joining my family for dinner in the city at a really cool restaurant - the Grand Lux Cafe. It should be good times! For now though, it is back to work.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?