<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 16, 2004


Hectic Night, Busy Day = Tired, but Fulfilled

I was on the PM shift yesterday, meaning I worked the full work day (8-5) and stayed on until 12:30am. As it was my second "tag-along" shift, I carried the pager and responded to the calls while the actual chaplain just observed. (Truth be told, she did a lot more than just observe, some of which I was grateful for and other times wished I had been allowed to test out my own ability.) The night was busy with the first page coming as I was walking back to the hospital from putting some things in my car. We responded to that page - a patient on 9 who was depressed and wanted someone to talk with and pray with. Turns out her husband passed away there 3 days ago, so the depression seemed apt. (Her admittance had nothing to do with her husband's passing.) Anyway, I went in and chatted with her, held her hand in some hard moments as she told me about her husband, and finally prayed with her. She seemed really grateful for all that and it was the first time I've actually felt like I've done a chaplain's job. It felt good. Not two seconds out of her door, the pager goes off again. ER. I return the call and the nurse says, "Please hurry. Bed * [nurses refer to patients by bed number) is dying." We went as fast as we could and met three of the patient's daughters outside. They were sad but said their Mom (who was elderly) had led a good life and that this was a good death. They did not want to see her spiral down and down into the depths of Alzheimer's, as she was already in the middle stages of that. She passed and many family members arrived; they stood around in the room and told stories about this woman, which was very touching to me. We helped make all the necessary arrangements and filed the proper paperwork. Again, I felt like a chaplain, or, as Debra has been putting it, I felt like I was growing into my coat (Navy bluye lab coats are the insignia of the chaplain at my hospital.) We responded to a few other pages that night, including a mild code yellow and finally, we were allowed to hand over the pager to the next shift and go home for four hours of sleep before turning around and doing it all again!

This morning was a tough morning, but tough in a good way. Having our clinical assigments (I'm in ER and Cardiac ICU) we got a chance to work our floors. There were two big cases going on: a young man "Flight for Life" car accident victim and an elderly nun whose vitals were failing. My partner and the unit chaplain took the car accident victim as it was the more difficult case. The young man was definitely not going to make it and the family was, of course, devastated. 2 chaplains seemed appropriate. And, since the ER is my new ward, it was appropriate I stay there and handle the nun's case. She had one of her religious sisters with her and was barely able to respond to stimuli (blinking eyes). I helped the other sister to get the proper paperwork there (Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare and the Living Will) and tried my hardest to contact the niece who was the only living relative. Those attempts were in vain, as she was a public school teacher and no one would give me any information about how to contact her. Apparently, that information is highly guarded my the union, so when this niece is upset she missed her aunt's death, I'll direct her to the woman from the union on the phone who hung up on me...twice. A Catholic priest arrived to administer the Sacrament of Anointing for the Sick and I participated in this rite, along with the other sister and the attending nurse. It was a very nice moment and the patient appreciated it; they say hearing is the last sense to go. She passed away some time later. I felt, once again, like I had done the work of a chaplain, and that I had done a good job. The remainder of the day was taken up in group sessions and more orientation stuff. We were oriented to the Neonatal ICU today, as well as the Pediatric ICU by the OB/Peds Chaplain.

We also selected our on call shifts for the rest of the summer and I am pretty happy with my schedule. Because I drew the shortest straw, I got to pick last which left me to conclude the summer on the last day with a double shift. But hey, if you gotta go, go out with a bang I say!

M just called and she is on her way back from the airport, so I am excited to see her after her week long absence. Tomorrow should be another good day. I am feeling much more comfortable in my role now, as well as much more familiar with the layout of the hospital. Though it is still possible to get lost, it is not as likely. All in all, I am tired, but I feel good. God's work is being done.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?