<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, June 13, 2004


Gearing Up For Week 2

Troy last night was a bit of a disappointment. While it was good, I wouldn't spend the $8 on it to see it on the big screen. Wait for DVD/VHS. The storyline of The Iliad was adhered too loosely. In the poem, the gods play major roles as characters, even fighting battles and duels. Beyond that, they provide the impetus and motivation for many of the plot's significant events. The film version decided it was a good enough tale without deities - a poor decision as one familiar with the epic noticed the distinct lack of divinity and was sorry for it. Moreover, the dactylic hexameter of Homer is replaced by colloquial idioms and military parlance, i.e. "Here are your discharge papers." A beautiful language was given over to the crude abilities of modern day actors. The battle scenes were wonderful however, epic in scale and militaristicly accurate. Achilles vaulted over enemies with his divine combat ability and engaged in heroic swordplay befitting his stature as a character. Hector was equally as good, until the moment when it counts of course. I wished we had scene more of Ajax, long a favorite character of mine, with his fearsome battle hammer and enormous strength. Anyway, overall, it garners a so-so rating. The ebst part, by far, was coming out of the theater to hear one patron say to another, "I liked the movie, but wasn't the main character's name suppossed to be Odysseus? Cause it's based off Homer's Odyssey." That remark made it almost worth the $8.

This morning I woke early to go to church, Canterbury being over for this academic year. As it may be the site of some future employment, I chose to go to St. Augustine's up in Wilmette. Remembering their schedule to include an 8:30 and 10:00 service, I elected to go at 8:30am. When I arrived, I found the church grounds deserted and the doors locked - a distinctly odd case for a church on Sunday morning. It was then that I noticed the sign out front - "SUMMER SCHEDULE: 8:00 AM - Service at Gillison Park, 9:30AM - Service at the Church" So, I was an hour early, a situation remedied by a coffee shop down the way. The service, when it began at the proper time, was very nice. The sermon was a bit too much of a recap of the OT lesson and not enough sermonizing for my tastes, but oh well, the liturgy was pretty good. I spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying my day off, watched the season finale of Deadwood tonight, wrote my learning goals for CPE and now am heading to the shower and bed, so that I am ready to go tomorrow morning. I have another 16 hour day ahead of me on Tuesday, so I want to make sure I am plenty rested. We get our assignments tomorrow - I am excited and will try for the Critical Care (ER and ICU's) assignment. Keep you posted...

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?