<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, June 11, 2004


1st Shift Over, 2nd Shift Begun

Here I sit, down in the basement of the hospital on the Pastoral Care computer. My graveyard shift is over and my normal day has begun. (I can already tell my normal level of eloquence is going to be absent in this posting. I apologize.) The night chaplain was very good about teaching us all the things we need to know. Thankfully, we had a pretty quiet night. We did not even get a page until about 4:20am, when an elderly Hospice patient up on 12 passed away. The family was not particularly religious and didn't want any pastoral care stating, "We already prayed for Daddy and that's good enough." 'Daddy' died of respiratory failure/arrest. We filled out the appropriate paperwork and by then, the family was itching to get home, citing the long day they no doubt had. Then, it was all quiet again for a while. At about 6:45am, we went the the PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit) to do some pastoral care work with a patient and her family there. The patient was recently diagnosed with a serious brain tumor in the brain stem/hypothalamus area. The surgeon believes that at least a portion of the tumor is in such a location as to make it inoperable, but he will do his best. He needed the night chaplain to come because the family was Hispanic and our night chaplain speaks fluent Spanish. There was much translating work to be done. It was difficult to watch the night chaplain tell Mom and Dad that the surgery was high risk and that their little girl might not make it off the table. And, even if she did, life expectancy was not long if the whole tumor could not be removed. The tumor is pinching off an artery that carries blood to that region of the brain stem which controls involuntary bodily functions like breathing. Over all, it was a very sad case and we prayed hard as the girl was wheeled into surgery. I am still waiting to hear how the surgery is going/went. Following that, we visited the pre-surgical untit and visited all the patients there who were getting ready to go into surgery this morning. We introduced ourselves and asked them if there was anything that we could do for them and if they would like prayer. Some said yes, some said no. We prayed with those who wished it, laying hands on them and interceding. One patient began speaking in tongues. It was a moving and fulfilling experience. Then, we headed downstairs to go to the morning report meeting, but were interrupted by the pager. Another elderly Hospice patient on 12 had died, but we were expecting this one to pass away today. Another chaplain handled that paperwork and pastoral care work.

Now, we have the morning to ourselves (until 1:30pm) to do as we please. We could try a few rounds if we want or whatever. The Critical Care Pastoral Caregiver is out of the office this morning, so I am carrying his pager. Should anyone come into the ER or have a need in an ICU unit - I get the page. Lukcily, I'm not totally alone. Two of my fellow students will also respond with me and if we have any questions, one of the supervisory chaplains will be available on pager. Right now though, the day bed behind is looking mighty fine, at least for a little while or until the pager goes off. I think I am ready for when that happens. At least, I feel more ready now than I have before. This is an excellent experience and one I know I will treasure, cherish, and reflect on for years to come.

Sleepy, but excited,

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?