<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 20, 2004


Sources of Excitement

There I am, merely typing out my Ethics I project, when a little dinging noise goes off, alerting me to the fact someone is instant message-ing me. I take a quick look to see who it is and lo and behold, it is my old friend Jack! Jack was a year ahead of me at Wake, but two years my junior in age. Yeah, he's a prodigy. Anyway, I had lost contact with him as he moved to Honduras. Now, last I knew of Jack, he was in the discernment process, more conservative than I, a practicing Anglican Franciscan who followed the Breviary daily, and was having troubles with women. Next I hear from him was a few months ago when our college chaplain called me to let me know that not only had Jack gotten married (this of the guy who once thought he was called to celibacy!!!), but was expecting a child! I was stunned, floored, disbelieving, and everything in between. Then, in Gospel Mission class, we had a case study about the controversy surrounding the possibility of the canonization of Charles I. The professor listed several outside resources for us to look up and one of the sections was entitled "Personal Websites". I checked them out and was floored again to discover that Jack's was one of the websites listed. It did not surprise me that he had such a website, Jack is quite the Anglophile. Anyway, we had a wonderful conversation tonight, caught up, and laughed about old times. He has decided to stay in Honduras at his current post (teaching English at the Anglican Mission) and pursue his calling there. It was great chatting with him again.

On another note completely, I am excited by the prospects of grilling tomorrow. Not only grilling, but offering a lesson on the basics by way of atonement for the transgressions I apologized for yesterday ("stealing" a movie ticket and going to the Keg). Neither can I complain about the company too much.

Then, Friday night, I am heading downtown to the National Boy Scout Convention Dinner. Some friends from my council are coming and invited me along. Who am I to pass up an excellent free meal at a fancy hotel?

Saturday is softball practice as usual, followed by the pickup softball game down the road. It was great fun last week and I hope they let me keep coming back. That night, I'll probably go out with some friends to celebrate my 23rd. I know, getting on up there right. One of these days my age is gonna catch up with my hairline.

Sunday will be the first playoff softball game for the Saints. So, naturally, we're playing my brothers in Lambda Chi and the sisters of Kappa Delta. I'll be wearing my letters and hope to meet a few of them. Later Sunday night will be Canterbury and supper, which is always a high point in my week.

With my Ethics and NT projects done, I can relax a little this weekend. Now, I'm really looking forward to that!

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?