<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 17, 2004


Sources of Anxiety

So, tonight (in less than two hours) I have a meeting about which I'm nervous and excited. An acquaintance of a friend of mine, if you follow, wants to get together with me to discuss my trip to Jerusalem. Now, why in the world should I be nervous about that you say? She happens to work for the Israeli Consulate. I am extremely excited by this opportunity because dialogue such as this is sooooooooo important to the cause of justpeace in Palestine and Israel. She can talk to people that I cannot, and who knows, maybe I will in some small way effect some positive change. My friend has told her about me and my trip and she beleives I have only heard one side of the story. While not totally true (as I watch American news), I can always stand to learn more. Obviously, the people with whom she works are on the opposite end of the discussion as I, but she believes there is a middle ground. I do too; that does not always get communicated well, but it is my firm belief. My main goal is for the violence and injustice to end, with particular political goals being secondary or even tertiary. (Really, I just wanted to use the word "tertiary" in a sentence.) So, I am excited and nervous about this prospect. Having met this lady once before, I know she is very nice and kind, but I do expect that we will end up disagreeing on some things. When I initially met her, she told me that "just because I work for the government doesn't mean I always agree with them," which is a good sign! I hope that God will be able to use me in a positive way tonight, and, if nothing else, perhaps I'll gain a friend out of it.

Another source of anxiety is the rising price of Scotch. A bottle of the Glenlivet, my typical brand, has increased to a ghastly $32 and change. I had to go down several steps and purchase a blended, William Grant's. Now, Grant's is good and suitable, but the real bonus is that it was half the price of the Glenlivet. So, until those Glenlivet boys (or the MaltMaster, or whoever) get their act together, I can no longer afford to be a customer of theirs. It's too bad, as I enjoyed the tradition as well as the beverage.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?