<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, May 02, 2004


Another Fine Evening

Though somewhat silly, this evening was quite fine. I met Kate and Julia for a movie, which they picked. When they said they wanted to see this film, my reaction was, "Oh boy..." The movie in question was "Thirteen Going on Thirty". The only, and I stress only, reason I agreed to go was the general hotness of Jennifer Garner. Now, even that small boon was diminished by the fact that she was acting like a 13 year old! She can't be hot when she is acting like that! Grrr... Anyway, the movie definitely falls into that most abysmal of categories - cute. What made up for that fact (aside from the fact I was out with two gorgeous and amazingly fun women) was that I was completely confused throughout the entire film. Yes, you heard it here first folks - a Jennifer Garner film confused me. I am going to ruin the end of the movie here, mostly because my respect level for it is low, so if you're in dire need of a surprise ending from this chic-flick, don't read ahead. From the very beginning, I was under the impression that the character of Matt was Garner's character's brother. (As it turns out, he was her best friend, not brother.) So, for the rest of the film, which is largely taken up by them falling in love, I was repulsed and confused. What was worse was the fact that Julia and Kate seemed unconcerned by this repugnant matter! After the movie they lovingly explained it to me, like the two year old I am and we all had a good laugh. On the plus side, I presented them with the Jerusalem crosses I got for them and they were quite taken aback. I began by telling them that in Jerusalem, olive trees are a big business and one of the things they are good for is beautiful wood carvings, which many craftsmen carve into crosses. They just thought I was telling "another Whitley story", but when they turned and saw me standing there holding two such crosses out to them, their faces lit up, doing the same to my spirit. Such a moment is always worth it.

In other news, Dr. Cooper and I have been emailing back and forth about my Jerusalem trip. She is my favorite professor from WFU and really a mentor to me in all things academic, spiritual, and temporal. She got to the end of her email and said that all which she had previously written didn't matter, but that what did matter was whether I had done something which we had talked about at some length. It was a matter of the heart you see, and a matter that is an extremely difficult and complicated situation. The answer is no; I have not done as she suggested and I wish she wouldn't have brought it up again because she is completely correct and I know it. I know what to do and I know that I have such trouble doing it because the situation doesn't meet my specifications, my standards, my needs. I notice in this three separate "my" statements and that is not coincidental. This control freak just has trouble letting go. This control freak is waiting for the fairy tale "perfect moment" and this control freak knows, in his head, that such things do not exist outside the pages of books. I have to make my own book. I have to write my own ending. Who knew writing, the utilization of words, would be so difficult for me, Ryan R. Whitley, the grandiloquent - the mouse...

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?