<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 06, 2004


Pastoral Theology and Feminism

So, I am reading this book for my Pastoral Care class on pastoral care for women. One section (p. 40) has noted that these three images are problematic:

1) An anthropomorphic God
2) Authority images of God
3) A Suffering God

The first, I can somewhat get on board with. It makes as much sense to call God Father as it does to call God Mother. The First Person of the Trinity seems to me to be beyond gender. However, the Father image is what I have grown up with and it is what works for me.

The second and third "problematic" images I have identified as being problematic.

On point number two: if you don't think God is the authority, you are sorely mistaken. It takes some people years, even their whole lives, to figure that out. Others figure it out quicker and seek to align their will to the Almighty's. However, in the end, when you are bowed before the throne of grace, the point won't be able to be made any clearer. I'm sorry some people have had problems with authority figures. But that doesn't make the image of God as an authority figure in your life a problem.

On point number three: If Christ wasn't God suffering, then I really don't know what to do. That's sort of like a logic problem where you discover your premise is false. It makes anything possible. Thankfully, that is not the case. Jesus Christ was, is, and ever shall be God. Jesus Christ suffered and died for the sins of all to save all by His grace. If you find this image to be problematic, you need to rethink your analysis of Christianity. I suggest you start by reading a Gospel.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?