<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, April 10, 2004


Good Friday Thoughts, pt. 2

After I finished lunch, I completed my research assignment ("probe") for New Testament with the aid of a pot of coffee. My Maundy Thursday vigil was from 3-4 am and, after returning from that back to the bed, I arose again, as noted, for the Stations of the Cross. Needless to say I am exhausted, thus the coffee. Having dispatched both java and journal, I felt a bit out of sync with time. Not really sure what to do with myself, I lay down upon the bed, confident a idea would present itself. And it did. The phone rang; my father was calling. I spoke with the family a bit and while talking with them concluded I should go out for a bite to eat and take in a film. Now, I am always hesitant when I think I should go see a movie by myself. I always feel weird about it at first. Someone once quoted to me that ministry can be a lonely task and, at times, it is. However, once I sufficiently motivate myself to get out the door, I always have a marvelous time! I can see any darn thing I want, at whatever time I want, and I don't have to fool with waiting for compatriots who are inevitably late nor attempt to cajole them to whichever film I desire to absorb. So, this evening, I was trying to decide between the Irish film, "Intermission", and the new Coen brothers cogitation, "Ladykillers". It came down to a matter of practicality: I wanted to eat first and "Intermission"'s playing times would not afford me that luxury. So, I set out to watch "Ladykillers", but first stopped in at Chili's for a quick bite. The line there was out the door, with a waiting list of over an hour long. A bonus of dining alone at a place like Chili's is that you don't have to wait in that wretched line; you can eat at the bar. Observing a custom I don't quite understand, I ordered fish and iced tea. In an out of there in a jiffy, I bought my ticket to the film and took my seat. Ladies and gentlemen, moviegoers of all ages, friends and foes alike - this is one of the funniest, finest, and most bombastically subtle films I have seen in a long time. I laughed out loud throughout the picture, breaking into applause at several occasions (another benefit of being solitary is at the movies you don't have to underscore your natural reactions as there is no one to embarrass but yourself). Huddleston - if you thought my speech patterns don't count, you need to carefully listen to the main character (named gilded Higginson Dorr III, Ph.D and deftly portrayed by Tom Hanks). His diction and syntax are heroic, worthy of emulation at every possible moment! The film was fantastic and definitely in the magnificent style of Joel and Ethan Coen. I encourage you to see this at the first available moment and should you find yourself lacking a companion and the necessary demeanor to partake of a film alone, I shall be more than happy to accompany you, if only to catch the myraid subtleties I missed on the first time around.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?