<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, April 04, 2004


"'For my thoughts are not your thoughts...

...nor are your ways my ways,' says the Lord." (Isaiah 55:8) And, thank goodness for that, I say. This evening I experienced a moment of sheer grace, which helped me to avoid the type of situation which would normally cause one to think about crawling under a rock and dying. I was sitting in chapel at the Canterbury Northwestern service tonight for Palm Sunday. It was very good to be back there and I had not been in two weeks, due to conflicting spring break schedules. Sitting across the aisle from me was a young lady wearing a backwards ball cap. Now, if there is anything that irks me about church attire, it is the wearing of ball caps, frontwards or backwards, in a church. Blame the Boy Scouts on that one, but I just think it is inappropriate. Bad hair day, too bad. God didn't ask Moses if he would be comfortable taking his shoes off, he just said to do it. I really didn't feel comfortable saying anything directly to the young lady as I did not know her that well, but I thought about getting my point across within the context of a joke. Maybe something like, "So, you think Jesus likes that ball club huh?" However, at the last minute, I did not, because I noticed the young lady was sort of limping, sort of half dragging her foot, and instead inquired how she had hurt her leg. She responded that her leg was uninjured. A pause. She went on, "I had brain surgery over the break and this is about my pace for right now." As it turns out, she had a brain tumor, and, praise be to God, the doctors were able to remove it all, a side effect of which being her motor skills were impaired. She is currently undergoing pretty intensive physical therapy it sounded like. I felt like a complete ass. No doubt that portion of her head which underwent the operation is shaved and that was the reason for the ball cap. Had I actually commented on it, I would have felt more horrible than I can here relate in words. Thank you God for distracting me at the last minute and helping me to see the truth of the situation in a much more positive way. Bless her and continue your mighty healing works in her, that she may once again be restored to wholeness, through the saving grace of your Son, Jesus Christ.

The moral of the story here is that I should not think about commenting on people's attire in church anymore (i.e. judging). Instead, I'll offer praise that they are there and proceed to worship, which is the real reason I am there. Thank you God for this lesson in humility and service. May that young lady forgive me for my uncharitable thought.

In news of a less serious nature, on the Sopranos tonight, Tony sent Chris to Winston-Salem to pick up some stolen crates of cigarettes. Ah, R.J. Reynolds... The rest of the episode was riveting. I don't think I exhaled until the credits rolled, and then somewhat hesitantly.

It is hard to believe that one week from tomorrow I will be embarking on my trip. Jackie, the Chaplain for Canterbury, has asked me to preach upon my return. I am really quite honored and happy to do that, so I will look forward to that opportunity. Those who know me well, know I cannot be quiet about this. May God grant me the grace to prepare a sermon which will preach his Word of love. In the meantime, let prayers for safety begin ascending.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?