<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 21, 2004


Continuing the Adventure - Jerusalem, April 18, 2004

--These entries are from Sunday--

"7:48 AM. Well, much to my chagrin, we will not be traveling to Bethlehem today. The country is in lockdown mode. Late last night, apparently, the IAF (Israeli Air Force) launched an Apache helicopter attack in Gaza, assassinating the new leader of Hamas, Rantisi; he had succeeded founder Sheik Yassin (who was assassinated March 22, 2004). As I write this I can hear, though not see, helicopters flying over Jerusalem. My not getting to Bethlehem is the least of my concerns; my prayer is for peace, justice, and stability for the region, as it always has been my prayer. Anyhow, it seems the program will be held in Jerusalem today, for the finale. Newland and I are thinking of going out to eat in East Jerusalem tonight to show our support. More to come later as it develops."

"10:59 PM. Well, the conference is now ended, in Jerusalem and not in Bethlehem as was originally planned. A lot of good work was accomplished today - the young adults (defined by being under 35) got together to get email addresses in order to get a listserv going, as well as facilitate post-conference discussion via email. I volunteered to be the contact person in the Chicago area. It is strange to think that if I come to the next conference in 2007 (The Faithful Remnant: Challeneges of the Palestinian Christians) I will be ordained. Presiding Bishop Ed Browning, retired, gave the sermon at the closing service ...my pen is dying, more from the plane tomorrow."

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?