<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, April 30, 2004


Books

I've realized that I forgot to post about the new novel I am reading. I finished Robert Metzger's Picoverse, which was very good. It is a quick and exciting sci-fi read, taking you in a direction that you probably will not expect. The concepts, though impossible, are a bit scary because of the narrative style. He writes with a confidence and authority, blending fact and fiction, so that his ideas seem just too close to plausible to be comfortable. Again, I highly recommend that Mason and Hudd pick this one up. Hudd, you will like it because it's good sci-fi and is refreshing in a genre that is often two dimensional. Mason, you will enjoy it because of the way the author fiddles with time and aging in a multi-verse context. To the rest of you, if you like sci-fi, check this out - it's enjoyable.

Now, I am on to Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, an immense tome about WWII, cryptography, modern-day internet and financial complexities, and characters so inter-connected it is hard to discern who is who without making a chart. Once I did that though, it helped. I seem to recall both Hudd and Lacy having said that this book is very different from the Stephenson I had previously read (Snow Crash) and boy, were they ever right. No less enjoyable though and now I go to pick it up again, which also functions as a weight-lifting exercise.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?