<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, April 05, 2004


All I want is some quarters...

Good Lord! I went to the grocery store today to pick up a few essentials and I thought I'd kill two birds in one stone. I needed a roll of quarters for the laundry and there is a small branch office of a TCF Bank in the grocery. So, after getting my groceries, I get some cash back and go to the bank line. After standing there for five minutes, I am waited on.

[Lights up. Curtain up.]
[Scene: Modern day grocery store setting. Large room filled with bright, institutional lighting.]
[Enter protagonist, stage left.]

"Can I help you?"
"Yes ma'am. I'd like a roll of quarters please." [Hands her the $10 bill]
"Do you have an account with us, sir?"
"No, ma'am, I do not."
"I'm sorry sir. We help our customers first." [Hands $10 bill back.]
"All I want is a roll of quarters."
"I'm sorry sir, please see customer service at the grocery store. Maybe they can help you."
"You mean you can't even give me a roll of quarters?"
"No, sir. We only help our customers."
"How do you get new customers then?"
"Sir?"
"If you only help existing customers, how do you get new ones? Seems to me you're being a bit shortsighted. Not a very good way to grow a business." [Exit stage left, angrily, muttering to self under breath. Lights dim. Lights up. Enter stage right, approaches customer service at the grocery store.]

"Hi, can I have a roll of quarters please?" [Extends $10 bill to clerk.]
"No, we don't sell rolls. I'm short quarters today. You might want to try back tomorrow. Or try the bank. It's right over there."

[Small thermonuclear reaction.]
[Lights down.]
[Cue end music.]

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?