<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 23, 2004


New Term (New Classes, New Books)

I have always thoroughly enjoyed the beginning of a new school term - call me a crazy madman lunatic nutjob if you will, but its true (the enjoyment part, not the rude attributes). There is just something fresh about it: I get excited by all the learning I'm going to do during the term (though I often don't relish the footwork necessary to get there), all the new books I get to read, and, though it doesn't apply as much at Seabury as it did at Wake, meeting the new people in my classes (At Wake, the added bonus to that last point was meeting all the new pretty girls, but alas, Seabury has not the abundance of young, feminine, potentially datable beauties Wake did. I'm not sure anyplace does, really.)

A whole bookshelf full of new books is really a wonderful thing. Three that I'm particularly excited to get into are: The Blackwell Companion to Christian Ethics (I'm familiar with the Blackwell series as I used their Judaism reader in undergrad and am impressed with them), The Oxford Illustrated History of Christianity (a straight up, decent depth, history book with many beautiful plates), and Introduction to the New Testament (after several years of really focusing hard on Old Testament studies to make up for the scarcity of study in that area I had previously done, I am ready to get into the nitty-gritty of the New Testament, especially with this professor).

In no particular order, my classes are for this term are:
History of Christian Life and Thought II: 500-1500 C.E.
New Testament I
Christian Ethics I
Pastoral Care & Congregations
Dreamworks

I really am looking forward to all these classes and am hard pressed to say which excites me more. I guess, on a personal level, the Dreamworks class seems most intriguing, in light of my Spirituality for Ministry project from last quarter about which I blogged. My bishop sent me a letter today saying he was really interested in the work I would be doing with dreams, as he is also very interested in the subject and somewhat practiced. So I have to remember to keep him updated. Guess that about wraps it up for now. After all, it's only the first day. We only had HCLT II today and I've done my reading and designed the layout in Excel for my timeline assignments. All I have to do now is fill it in with data, but the format is completed. This will save me hours if I can manage to keep up with doing it. Perhaps I'll treat myself to my bed now with my novel for a while.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?