<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 18, 2004


Mmm...sadism

So I went in to the doctor today for the second time, to have the tests done he wanted done so he could have their results as a baseline for my file, and also to get a vaccination he suggested before I go on my trip. So, for starters, I have been fasting for 15 hours for the bloodwork they need, so I'm starving. Then they inject me with this stuff they called Breathine, which is suppossed to do something to my breathing for a respiratory test. As a side effect they said it would make me "jittery". "Jittery" isn't the word for it. Then they have to let that sit in me for a while before we continue with the breathing test, so they do the vaccination in the other arm. Hep A. It's an incredible amount of medication to inject. I'm not finicky about needles at all, I just thought it was a lot of fluid being punched into me. So, then they say we're going to take the blood, so I set my arm out there and wish her good luck. My veins are crooked and roll, so nurses can never get the needle in the first, second, or usually third times. So, she laughs it off, as do they all, and gives it a go. Nope. It rolls right away, causing me to bleed and bruise, of course. Then she gives it a go again, trying the next vein over.
There is a very loud noise in my head, from very far away.
There are two people standing in front of me.
I cannot focus on them. Who are they?
Where am I?
I'm in a hospital? No.
A medical office coming into focus.
The doctor's office.
I came for tests.
She was drawing blood.
Ah - I must have passed out. I hate doing that.
What is that terrible smell? Get those salts away from me!
"Did I pass out?"
"Yep." I laugh. They laugh. We all have a good chuckle as they lower me onto the floor. The give me a pillow, prop my feet up, give me a soda and some cookies. They make me lie there forever until I no longer feel dizzy or clammy and my pulse calms down a bit. Doc walks by the door, does a double take at me on the floor, pokes his head in, and then says simply, "Wuss." I like this guy already! Damn. What a wasted morning. So, the combination of not eating and then the medication to make me "jittery" does not mix well with drawing blood. Needless to say by the time they and I feel like I should get up, the Breathine has worn off so I can't finish the breathing test and they didn't get enough blood. But they said, "I think we'll be done for today."

So, I went to the doctor feeling fine this morning and come back feeling bad. Isn't that backwards?

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?