<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, March 29, 2004


HCLT II - Journal Entry II

I was fascinated by Paula's discussion that the Ethiopian Orthodox Church has, or purports to have, the Ark of the Covenant. I was under the impression it was lost, but I guess not according to the Ethiopians. (If Indiana Jones reads this, I'm sorry man, that was just a movie.) During that discussion I was reminded of another Ethiopian story (cause I just know so many). We were suppossed to discuss the rise of Islam and how that affected Christianity and really defined some of its boundaries, but we never got around to it. So, in my despair, I thought of the story detailing how when the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH*) and his followers fled Mecca, some were captured by the Abyssians (Ethiopians) and taken before their King, who was Christian. One was chosen (I think it was Abu Bakr, but I'm not sure) to speak to the King. The King asked them if they were Christians and Abu Bakr said no, they were followers of Allah and his Prophet (PBUH). He then went on to explain their faith at the end of which, the King drew a line in the sand and said, "I am on this side of the line of faith and you are on that side. But, we are so close we can touch each other." Apparently, because of this, the King spared their lives. Now, it has been a while since I read this story, so if I got the details confused, pardon me, but I believe I captured the gist.

*Peace Be Upon Him - in deference to any Muslim readers I may have, I included the blessing here typical of their writing and speech.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?