<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, March 15, 2004


Florida Doings...

Have you ever noticed that when you have a week off to go home and relax, it never ends up being quite what you expected? A week's worth of relaxation turns into a rat race very quickly: all the people to see, all the places to go, all the little errands to run. For example, I have a doctor's appointment today for a physical. Turns out, this doctor (who will be my new primary care physician) does physicals as a two-part event. So, instead of one doctor's appointment I have two. Then, there is the brother's baseball game to go watch. Granted, I will definitely enjoy watching the game, as it is against their big rival and especially if Brennan gets to pitch. You never know if they'll let him or not, as he was moved up to Varsity early as a sophomore. He seems to be doing very well though. On Tuesday, come to find out, I'm traveling with my Mother to my Grandmother's house in Ocala to visit with her, my Aunt who came down from Ohio, my mother's cousin who came down from Pittsburgh, and my great Aunt and Uncle, also from Pittsburgh, in addition to my Aunt, Uncle, and Cousin who already live in Ocala and my brother Trevor who will be coming over from Stetson, where he goes to college. It will be wonderful to see all of them again, of course. Over and above familial obligations, I have friends in town that I want to see and spend time with. One was a surprise, sort of like a bonus, and the other lives here pretty permanently now.

Finally, my Father informed me that my old Scoutmaster and friend has once again assumed authority over BSA Troop 140, my old troop. They are inbetween Scoutmaster's and Guy has offered to fill in, though I suspect once he gets back into it, he might stay - he always said he'd do it again one day. And frankly, when I was in 140, we went through 3 Scoutmaster's and a host of assistants and Guy was the best there ever was and likely ever will be. He is one of the main reasons I am an Eagle Scout today. So, as a surprise, tonight I will don my old uniform, now replete with Assistant Scoutmaster patch (my current official position in the Troop - though I am never there, they keep all Eagle's on the roster as Assistants. I think its a very nice gesture.) and adult awards patches and make a surprise visit to see my friend and mentor. I know absolutely none of the boys - as my Father pointed out, the youngest ones in the Troop now were not born when I joined Scouting! Scary! Anyway, it will be very good to see Guy again.

I have the sneaking suspicion that come Saturday, I am going to wonder where my week went! We'll save that wondering for the plane.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?