<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, February 01, 2004


What a weekend...

Well, my mother has left now and we had an excellent time during her visit. I am woefully behind on some of my readings, but I'll catch up no doubt. I really don't much feel like blogging right now, so this'll probably be short. The blog is a wonderful procrastination tool though.

I have finished reading Snow Crash, and wow, was it awesome. The story was engaging and fun while not being overly serious and the satirical elements were downright hysterical at times. Stephenson's take on Christianity is interesting, but about what one might expect from a Science Fiction/Cyberpunk author. If you get the chance, I highly recommend indulging yourself into the Metaverse world of Hiro Protagonist in Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. After that, I read and re-visited a few short stories out of Collected Fictions, the compendium of Jorge Luis Borges' work. An excellent writer whose themes include infinity, the human condition, knowledge, salvation, and various and sundry other things. I read: "Death and the Compass", "The Cult of the Phoenix", "The Garden of Forking Paths", "The End", "The Library of Babel", and "The Lottery of Babylon". All very different and all quite excellent for a brief literary diversion. I put it down after those because Borges takes a while to digest and I really like to mull over the things he suggests - especially about the infinite library. Awe-inspiring! And now, I am on Haruki Murakami's Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World: A Novel, which was a gift from Griffin. After only reading the first chapter, I know this book will be good and it fits perfectly with my literary mood right now. Even as I read it, David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest is starring at me from the shelf, saying, "Come on - don't be a pansy!" So, I know my time of reckoning with that tome is almost upon me. I'm going to try and hold off until the summer, but we'll see what happens. I need to read that book. I want to read that book. It wants to be read by me. I don't want to read that book. But I do. See what I go through? Argghh...I want to read that book. Soon enough, soon enough. Well, that turned out longer than I thought, but I guess that just validates Siobhan's theory that I can't be brief. Oh well...

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?